Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: My M5 replacement.
From: "Dante A. Stella" <dante@umich.edu>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 21:00:29 -0500

> I still don't see why Cosina has to hide behind that Voigtsomethingder
> brand-name anyway.  I'd gladly -- even more gladly, actually -- buy
> their stuff so branded.

If you've ever used a Vivitar SLR zoom or wideangle prime lens, you'd instantly
know why.

> On a tangent, I was interested to note (viewing an illustration in a
> reference work by a certain Herr Doktor Professor Small) that Cosina
> even imitated aspects of the overall shape of the original Nokton in
> making theirs...

As far as I can tell, there is NO resemblance whatsoever, except the name, focal
length and maximum aperture:

Construction: the old Nokton was polished chromed brass; the Cosina is aluminum
Optical design: totally different - old is a Zeiss Sonnar, the Cosina is a planar

Mount: the old Nokton was predominantly a bayonet for the Prominent; the new,
M39.

Message from "Michael E. Bérubé" <MEB@goodphotos.com> (Re: [Leica] My M5 replacement.)
Message from Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net> (Re: [Leica] My M5 replacement.)
Message from Jeff Moore <jbm@oven.com> ([Leica] Re: My M5 replacement.)