Subject: Re: [Leica] Let us now condemn external viewfinders
From: "Dante A. Stella" <dante@umich.edu>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 20:33:39 -0500

External finders for M cameras... humbug!  Degenerate I say, old boy.

All camera evolution has pointed to better built-in viewfinders for normal
types of lenses (i.e. 35mm to 135mm in length).  If Barnack wanted external
finders, he would have left the viewfinder out of the LTM Leicas and made
Bessa-Ts instead.  But he didn't.  He gave us a finder suitable for a 50mm
lens.

The IIIg and the M3 were designed to eliminate external finders for 90mm and
135mm, respectively, lenses which are relatively clumsy to use with an
external.  If you think external finders are anything but degenerate, consider
that the bug-eyes were developed for the M3.

Then Leitz gave use the M2 and the M4-P, which were designed to eliminate the
35 and 28 finders respectively.

This renewed sickness of external finders for cameras that already had lines
for those lenses began with superwides (unknown to Barnack) and worked its way
like a pernicious malady into the heartland of lenses from 35-135mm.
Consistent use of these lenses causes:

1. Loss of camera compactness
2. Duplication of equipment you already have
3. Loss of rangefinder use in any quick fashion

It also leaves a mark on your forehead - and when those in the know see you,
they will understand your shame (those of you with 1950s health classes will
get this one).  If that's too oblique, external finders will blind you.

DAS

Message from "Stanislaw B.A. Stawowy" <watteau@krakow.neurosoft.net> (Re: [Leica] Let us now praise external viewfinders)