Subject: Re: [Leica] OT: Contax T3
From: "Dante A. Stella" <dante@umich.edu>
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2001 10:57:58 -0500

Oh, yeah.  Sonnar is nothing more than a trade name.

Contax is currently a big abuser of the Sonnar name.  Even the 90/2.8 G-Sonnar is
not a Sonnar.  It's an Ernostar, but since Contax can use the name Sonnar it
does.  Konica sells almost exactly the same use but uses the name "Ernostar"
(whose trademark was apparently abandoned 75 years ago) to describe it.  Of
course the Ernostar/Sonnar difference may be more semantic, but still, Contax
hasn't made a real Sonnar for G or in a compact since maybe the original T in
1985.

Also, why the hell would you want the name to be Sonnar for a 35mm lens?
Wouldn't you want "Biogon?"  At least in the old school, that's the great
wide-angle.

Sonnars are great in the 38 to 40mm range: you have the T Sonnar 38/2.8, the
Rollei HFT-Sonnar 40/2.8, the original Zeiss Tenax 40mm f/2, and (I believe) the
Contaflex TLR.  All were great fun.  Even the 40/2.3 on the XF-35 wasn't that bad
(the camera was, though).

Dante

Replies: Reply from Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com> (Re: [Leica] OT: Contax T3)
Message from Mikiro Mori <arbos@mac.com> (Re: [Leica] OT: Contax T3)