Subject: [Leica] Re: The Optical Wars: Was Zoom Saga
From: "Dante A. Stella" <dante@umich.edu>
Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2001 20:30:03 -0500

Hey Bryan:

Don't forget that you need (depending on your state's formulation)

a material representation
known to be false
made with intent to induce reliance
which resulted in reliance
which resulted in damage

Gee, it just comes out in blank verse - sort of like

Pater noster
qui es in caelis
sanctificatur nomen tuum
adveniat regnum tuum
fiat voluntas tua
sicut in terra et in caelis
&c.

(from 12 years ago, so sorry if I snag a line) But the rhythm of that harkens
back to a passage (Thucydides or Herodotus, it slips my mind) - and it was
probably spoken in dactylic hexameter as the Athenians (or was it the
Persians?) threatened  the Spartans:

If you do not surrender, we will attack you
If we attack you, we will land on your shores
If we land on your shores, we will lay siege to your cities
If we lay siege to your cities we will rape your women
If we rape your women, we will burn down the city

(Paraphrasing liberally)  To this the Spartans (now it seems to be the
Pelopponesian Wars, since in the Persian Wars the Spartans and the Persians met
on land - and Marc, I'm sure you'll jump in on this one) replied:

If.

But - back on track - don't forget that fraud needs to be alleged with
particularity and proven by clear and convincing evidence.  Fraud is a bitch to
win on.  What you want is breach of contract.  It would be much easier to force
the seller to pay you the difference between the lens at the price he promised
and the lens at the price available to you now.  Geez - that's in the UCC.

Dante
(also an attorney but one who dimly remembers 6 years in a Jesuit prison camp).

Message from "Bryan Caldwell" <bcaldwell@softcom.net> (Re: [Leica] Zoom Saga)