Subject: Re: [Leica] Developer preference
From: Guy Bennett <gbennett@lainet.com>
Date: Sat, 3 Mar 2001 19:36:22 -0800

>I'm just starting to use Agfa films again after a 20 hiatus. Any
>recommended developers for the 100 and 25 in 35 and 120? I'm looking for
>something that will make the negs look high in contrast, with a good mid
>gradation.
>
>Best,
> Slobodan Dimitrov

Slobodan,

In addition to seeking a high contrast developper, you might also
experiment with pushing the film to increase contrast.

On this subject, I just checked out of the library the two "Darkroom" books
put out by Lustrum Press (R. Gibson's press) in the mid 1970. There are
discussions with about 20 photographers who talk about how they use the
darkroom to achieve their "look."

Gibson's stuff is very high contrast, and he talks about what he does to
get the contrast he wants, which included seeking out high contrast subject
and shooting 400 film in bright daylight to blow out the highlights.

There is some interesting stuff in that book.

Guy

Replies: Reply from D Khong <dkhong@pacific.net.sg> (Re: [Leica] LUGgers in Perth, WA?)
Reply from S Dimitrov <sld@earthlink.net> (Re: [Leica] Developer preference)