Subject: Re: [Leica]Ted's Portrait Class Room - guest instructor :)
From: henry <henry@henryambrose.com>
Date: Sat, 3 Mar 2001 14:47:47 -0600

> It is backlit from the window in her
>office. The scan is from a 8x10 on a cheap scanner which does not do the
>print justice.
>
>Any critique welcome. go to http://www.streetphoto.net/images/im3.jpg
>
>Thanks
>
>Steve
>Annapolis

Hi Steve,

Hope its OK to jump in!
About your portrait referenced above - I don't know how much of what I
see is the scanner or the print but it looks like it would have been
improved by exposing a bit more. More detail in the dark side of her face
and especially her eyes would help. Like maybe 1/60 instead of 1/125.
Even better (if its possible) would be to turn her around so some of that
window light is ON her face. Not necessarily straight on but skimming
would be nice. Either way,  light sparkling in the eyes will always help!

Its about the light and something happening with the light and the
subject. It may be easier to get the light right than to get the person
to allow themselves to be seen - to fully let down their guard and let
you in. But that's another part of the story.

Look at Tina's photo of Frederico Dominguez  (third one down the page)at:
http://main.nc.us/openstudio/tinamanley/week/photo.htm
That works!! Its got all the ingredients.

Look at Tina's and yours side by side.

Henry