Subject: Re: [Leica] 35mm f2.0 Summicron-M ASPH vs. 35mm f2.0 Summicron-M pre-asph
From: henry <henry@henryambrose.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2001 21:54:08 -0600

>I’m going to get a 35mm f2.0 Summicron-M for my wife’s M6 camera bag kit.  I
>have the pre-ASPH and have always been happy with it but here I have the
>excuse to get the new one too.  I have heard some folks say the older
>version makes more pleasing exposures – the new one is too contrasty and
>‘correct” and has “lost something”??
>
>Your comments are appreciated.
>
>Thanks - gold

IMO the 35  ASPH Summicron is the finest lens made for 35mm cameras.
I've only used the older version a little but can tell you that the ASPH
is better for me in every respect. Wonderfully flat field, no distortion,
sharp right from f2, smooth even out of focus areas. Too contrasty? - use
a different film. (But its not) Its so good I often consider buying a
spare just in case. Its the best!

Henry