Subject: [Leica] WAS: Condemnation? NOW: Tmax
From: "Ted Grant" <tedgrant@home.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2001 14:02:42 -0800

Erwin wrote:
> [...]
time and expertise to be appreciated. I am always surprised by that casual
"I-shot-a-few-rolls-and-I-am-not- impressed"-thing.<<<<<<

Hi Erwin,
I never cease to be amazed at how some folks can make a valid and written in
stone condemnation by the >>>"I-shot-a-few-rolls-<<< try out.

In my book "This is Our Work. The legacy of Sir William Osler." the bulk of
the photographs are shot on Tmax 400 rated at 800 and developed in Tmax
developer.

And I don't have any problem with the results at all, considering the number
of LUGNUTS who ordered copies and have attested to the quality of the
photography and reproduction. And the print accolades from those who've seen
the exhibition of 16X20 prints at the Canadian Museum of Contemporary
Photography within the National Art Gallery of Canada.

There isn't anything wrong with Tmax 400 and if one has only done a couple
of "test?" rolls.  What can they possibly know of the fine results possible
and what it can or cannot do?

Yes I admit I've been messing around with Delta and Tri x this past little
while and yes I'm quite pleased at the results, particularly after Mark
Rabiner got me "hooked on EXTOL!"  1:3. :-)

But this doesn't mean I've abandoned Tmax 400, it just means I thought I'd
have a look at something else, kind of like trying a new candy bar. ;-) I'm
sure I'll be using the Tmax for a while as I've got a pile of it here and
I'm not going to throw it away, besides I need to shoot more of it with
EXTOL before I feel I should switch to another film.
ted

Ted Grant Photography Limited
www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant

Replies: Reply from Dan Cardish <dcardish@sympatico.ca> (Re: [Leica] WAS: Condemnation? NOW: Tmax)