Subject: Re: [Leica] CRM PAW 9
From: "Ted Grant" <tedgrant@home.com>
Date: Sat, 3 Mar 2001 09:21:27 -0800

C.R. Wrote:
> inspired to go to the library for some books on lighting. Side lighting
from
> a North window was suggested more than once. This is the result. (Thanks
> Ted. This is how one learns.) <<<<<<,

Hi C.R.
Time for another lesson! ;-)

Northlight is a nice quality light and is still employed in studios of some
portrait photographers and painters.

However, in your case you haven't employed the light to the best advantage
nor have you done your model any favours with either frame. Particularly the
second! Ouch!

If your camera angle was at head level while your subject was seated or
standing to where he is in these frames and not the up the nose or down the
through the glasses angle, it would've improved both images immeasurably!.

Picture 1:  if your subject had change his shoulder angle more to the left
of the frame rather than the "straight on, up the nose view"  it would've
given better body angle and the light would've strengthened the body rather
than a big blob of white shirt. The low angle? were you lying on the floor?
;-)

The light on the subjects face.  One thing positive, you are on the right
side for the light. As it appears you are on the "Shoot from the shadow
side"  that I use and have explained to hundreds of photo people over the
years.
What you have is more of a hard side light and yes it works at times, not
here!

To employ the "shoot from the shadow side" the subject's head just requires
a slight turn to the left of the frame to a point where the "north light" is
creating a small patch of triangular light on the cheek nearest to the
camera. In this case the subjects left cheek.

This is referred to as, "Rembrandt lighting" which is known to portrait
photographers and a very enhancing light for men. It can also be used for
architectural, sceneics, fashion and very nearly every facet of picture
taking.

You mentioned you went to the library.  I suggest you return, find a book of
Rembrandt painting and you'll have the best light teaching book you can
find.
Remember these old guys knew what light was all about, as they didn't have
electric nor flash and had to rely on their ability to "see the most
effective light to make their wonderful paintings."

So my friend back to the drawing board! ;-) More film with the same
subject - window location and do a re-shoot using Rembrandt Light  from the
shadow side.

Watch for the triangle of light on the subjects cheek as you have the person
turn the head slowly towards the window and when the light creates a
triangle that just catches the near eye and cheek, stop him and shoot.

This may take a few turns of the head and should be done until you are sure
you see it just right before you start blowing away film. You might even
borrow the Rembrandt book from the library and use it as a guide as your
subject moves his head.

I trust this helps.  And picture two? Down through the glasses?  It's a bad
angle my friend unless you want to create a kind of Halloween picture
monster! ;-)
ted

Ted Grant Photography Limited
www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant