Subject: [Leica] Re: Are UV filters "safety glasses" for the lens?
From: Christer Almqvist <christer@almqvist.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 21:58:09 +0200

>At 10:07 AM 2/28/01 +0200, Christer Almqvist wrote:
>>
>>It seems most contributors are either strictly for or strictly
>>against "safety glass" filters. I am certainly bi on this question
>>and keep a filter on my lenses so that they are protected when I have
>>them in my jacket pocket, just in case the odd coin or some other
>>sharp item has found its way into the pocket. But if I do a long
>>series of shots, say a portraiture session, where I do not need them,
>>I simply unscrew them. Best of two worlds. But I would like the
>>filters to be real "instant off" and "instant on",  which screw on
>>filter aren't
>>--
>>Christer Almqvist
>

>Christer,
>
>I have a "real" honest filter question.
>
>It seems that you are using a filter as a lens cap. To keep stuff in your
>pocket from touching the lens. Then you say if you are doing photographs
>that "do not need them," you take them off. Which leads me to believe that
for "other" photographs, you leave the filters on.
Is this correct?

Absolutely correct

>If so, how do you keep the stuff in your pocket from "dinging" and
>"dirtying" up the filter, through which, you then photograph? And again, if
>my assumption is correct, why not just use a lens cap? Take the lens out of
>your pocket, pop off the lens cap ("instant off" and "instant on",) apply
>pristine, clean, good filters as needed, and photograph.

If I use a lens cap instead of the filter, the two arrows start
blinking when I try to take a picture in a hurry. Then I get all
nervous and think there is something wrong with the camera. And no
picture gets taken. Or I just point and shoot, and then I have no
picture either, or the out of focus picture of the back of a lens cap.

>It is my belief that after a coated optical surface has been "possibly"
>subjected to coins or sharp objects, dirt, etc, it will not be the best
>thing to photograph through.

The filter does not get damaged very often at all, but when it
happens it is easily replaceable. I do not worry about the filter
getting dirty or scratched. I would worry about the lens getting
scratced (although I once hat a 50mm Sonnar with a large air bubble
in it for my Contax, still gave excellent negative quality so I guess
I worry too much).

>I personally find that by keeping my filters, some in the individual
>plastic cases that they came in, others in a filter wallet which folds up
>and Velcros closed, they stay clean and undamaged.

I do that to for my orange filters which I only use occasionally.

>I use a L-O-T of filters. And if I'm going to put them over my wonderful,
>expensive, Leica lenses, they have to be in "perfect" condition. Obviously,
>as my previous posts revealed, in situations that have no possibility of
>flare and where the filter will enhance the photograph. Polarizers,
>warming, ND, split ND, color grad (cheating... I know!), etc.
>
>I just think that any filter that you put over your lens, should be treated
>equally as you would treat your lens. If you protect your lenses, you
>should also protect your filters. Filters in cases, lens caps on lenses.

I prefer a picture taken with a filter that is a little bit dirty to
a missed picture.

Actually all my lenses have sun shades on them all the time. An  old
habit from the days lenses were more prone to  flare. I simply do not
like taking pictures without sunshade. Not even in rain. (Last point
is serious.) So, if I want to use my lens cap protected 35 Summicron
with a lens shade, I would need to take of the lens cap, put it in
the pocket, find the sun shade, get it out, put it on .....not
practicable my friend.

The new rubber lens caps that you place on top of the sun shade are
no good at all. They get lost much too easily in crows, rubs of in no
time at all. The one I got with my 35  Summicron got lost within 24
hours.

>Both lenses and filters exquisitely clean while being used.
>
>IMHO,
>
>Jim
>
>These are simply my personal observations and preferences. No attempt has
>been made to emphatically state that this is either the correct way, or the
>only way, to effect the end.

My way to do it is the only way to do it!

- --
Christer Almqvist
D-20255 Hamburg, Germany and/or
F-50590 Regnéville-sur-Mer, France