Subject: [Leica] Re: Focussing cine-camera lenses
From: "Doug Richardson" <doug@meditor.demon.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 18:19:17 -0000

Recently there was some discussion on the LUG concerning the focussing
techniques used with cine cameras, and the fact that lenses were
scale-focussed to pre-measured distances.

If any LUG members are involved in the cinema industry, could they
tell me:

If the lenses are manually focussed to preset distances, does that
mean that the focussing is engraved to be read by someone standing in
front of the lens, rather than by someone standing behind the camera -
i.e the distance values are engraved 'upside-down' compared with those
on a 35mm still camera lens?

Do cine lenses have depth-of-field markings similar to those on
still-camera lenses?

The reason for these questions is that I have an old lens can be
screwed into a Leica, but which has no DOF markings, and has a
focussing scale engraved to be read from the front.

Given these odd features, I'm wondering if it may have been a cine
lens which has been adapted for use on the Leica.

Regards,

Doug Richardson

Replies: Reply from Bernard Cousineau <flatbroke@sympatico.ca> ([Leica] Re: Focussing cine-camera lenses)
Reply from "Mike Durling" <durling@widomaker.com> (Re: [Leica] Re: Focussing cine-camera lenses)