Subject: Re: [Leica] Noctilux (from Canada or Germany?)
From: Dr H L Lau <shllau@hkusua.hku.hk>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 08:13:21 +0800

Hello Simon, Adrian and Stephen,

This question stemmed out of pure curiosity. Of course it doesn't matter to me where the lens is made, Canada or Germany, so long as it has outstanding performance, which this Noctilux f/1.0 really does have.
The thoughts (or expectations) that came through my mind are interesting. The Noctilux is one of the most famous lenses in the Leica M series. And Leica is justly proud of it. In "Leica The Program", it is stated, "The Noctilux-M gives Leica-M photography capabilities that are beyond the reach of
other outfits."
So if they can put away their pride (or arrogance for that matter) just as they do with the Noctilux, many other lenses, e.g. the Vario-Elmarit R 35-70/2.8, can be produced in adequate amount to quench the thirst of many Leica users and collectors, if the help of ELCAN is sought or used.  ELCAN
obviously still possesses the technical capabilities of producing outstanding lenses, the Noctilux being a prime example.  Conversely, it reveals the limitations of the Solms manufacturing capabilities (designing capabilities should be first-rate given the new designs there).
If only ELCAN is still part of Leica, we'd have more lenses of our wish!
The e-mail answer from ELCAN has been quoted with my original post: they are STILL manufacturing the Noctilux.

Horace Lau
Hong Kong