Subject: Re: [Leica] Noctilux (from Canada or Germany?)
From: Dr H L Lau <shllau@hkusua.hku.hk>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 20:57:19 +0800

After the ELCAN plant was sold to Raytheon in 1998, it was believed that the production of
the 75mm Summilux and the Noctilux would be moved to Solms; Stephan Gandy on his
website also stated this "expectation".  So far the "new" German-made 75mm Summilux has
appeared (order no. changed from 11815 to 11810, same optical design, but a slightly
different mechanical design in the helicoid resulting in some 40g reduction in weight).
But the German-made Noctilux has yet to come, at least as far as a
newly-shipped-in-from-Solms Noctilux (which my friend bought from the respectable Dr
Joseph Yao a couple of weeks ago) went -- it was "made in Canada".  My Noctilux bought
last year (serial no. 3814xxx, which includes the signed Test Certificate introduced in late
2000) was also made in Canada.
One speculation was that Leica is just selling the unsold stock from ELCAN. This is an
interesting topic to follow, especially now when all Leica M lenses are supposedly made in
Germany.  The recent thread on LUG concerning the 35-75 mm f/2.8 Vario-Elmarit-R ASPH
also shed light on the technical "problems" Leica has faced with. The dealers that I know in
Hong Kong, Japan and Germany also maintain that the Noctilux is being made in Germany.
This added to the "mystery" of where the Noctilux is currently produced (those who couldn't
care less of the country of manufacture can save their time and stop reading on).
When I enquired ELCAN of any currently produced lenses for still-picture photography, their
answer is that the Noctilux is still being made there!  I enclose their e-mail reply in the
following.  The big question now is not WHERE anymore, but WHY?

Horace Lau