Subject: Re: [Leica] Delta 400 vs Tmax 400
From: Henry Ambrose <digphoto@telalink.net>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 15:17:08 -0600

Guy wrote in part:
>I for one am sorry they changed the emulsion in order to enhance
>"pushability." There are other 400 films that push well (including HP5+,
>another Ilford film!), but not many that offer the fine grain Delta 400 was
>capable of giving. Oh well...
Until you have tried other developers/times/techniques don't give up on
the new film.
I'm not saying you are wrong but it could be that the problems you have
are the result of processing.

Locally, the good pro lab does B&W in a fancy Refrema processor. I doubt
that anyone can top them for consistency and quality of their process.
Their E6 is beyond criticism.

BUT

This means that they run everything in the same chemicals and at standard
times. So nobody gets optimzed processing. You get something close and
that's it - if you're lucky. If not, you get something bad for your film
choice and exposure - you might think a particular film is no good and
wonder why they even bother to make it!

I think that if you can't find a lab to do exact custom processing or if
you are not willing to tailor your work to fit a standard process you
need to do your own film.

The result is that you have control over your negatives.

Its that simple.

Henry Ambrose