Subject: Re: [Leica] Delta 400 vs Tmax 400
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 11:12:18 -0800

Guy Bennett wrote:

> I've bitched more than once here on the LUG regarding the new (and in my
> opinion definitely not improved, at least not for my purposes) Delta 400. I
> bought a few rolls last fall, at the L.A. Convention Center where Samy's
> was having an "event." The Delta rep was there and explained to me that the
> emulsion had been changed so that the film would push better, which meant
> that the new version was grainier than the old.
>
> Now, I don't soup my own film, but the lab I use processes in TMAX, which
> worked wonderfully with the previous emulsion: rich tonal gradation, fine
> grain, even at 8" x 10". I used this film exclusively for nearly two years
> and got to know its characteristics. To my mind and eye, it was the finest
> grain 400 I had ever used, and that was my principal reason for shooting
> with it. The new emulsion - made to push better - has lost the fine grain
> of the previous emulsion; the rolls I've shot have a VERY pronounced grain,
> much more so than even Tri-X. (Though this my be in part a result of the
> developper used - TMAX in all cases.) Result: I switched back to AgfaPan
> 400, the film I was using before Delta, to get that fine grain. (And I know
> I could get a finer grain with a slower film - Delta 100, for example - but
> I need the speed.)
>
> I for one am sorry they changed the emulsion in order to enhance
> "pushability." There are other 400 films that push well (including HP5+,
> another Ilford film!), but not many that offer the fine grain Delta 400 was
> capable of giving. Oh well...

When i wanted something faster than 400 I'd use there 1600.
I got 100 film results from 400 and loved that... in other words
In Xtol 1:3 ultra sharp and ultra fine grain that looked like it was shot with
ASA 100 film.
So it sounds like they've bothced up my favorite film.
The thing is i don't have anything really against tmax400.
Now that I've using two fixes the pink is going to come out with no problem
that was about the only thing the bothered me about it.
It might have cost a buck more and come in pro packs of 20 instead of the 10 i
prefer with delta.
But what the heck.
Delta should have left the 400 alone and come out with another film.
I'm going to E-mail them, those rats!!!
I'd switch to T Max instead of Tri x or Agfapan 400 because it is a more similar
modern tab grain film.
And therefore capable of looking like a 100 film more easily than the older
style round grain films in 35mm.
In larger formats i don't think it would make much difference between the older
films and the Tab grain films.

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon
USA
updated temporary Website by "Foxy": http://spokenword.to/rabiner/
(consisting of late night E-mail descriptions of photos)