Subject: Re: [Leica] can't shoot with 75mm
From: Peter Klein <pklein@2alpha.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 20:08:04 -0800

At 05:50 PM 02/19/2001 -0800, Ted wrote:
>During that time I used the 75 extensively and once in a while I had a belly
>twitch that the M6 rangefinder wasn't doing justice to what I saw, focused
>on and shot!
>
>However, I tried to be extra careful, well tried to be, with the viewfinder
>indicating the 75 framelines. Well being careful in the confusion of the
>framelines between 50 and 75 or whatever, I screwed up many irreplaceable
>images chopping heads and other dumb ass things. Of course one doesn't find
>this out until you're home and souping film to find the error of your ways.
>:-(
>I rarely use an M camera with anything longer than a 50, the Noctilux,
>occasionally a 90 Summicron f 2.0.  Actually I could sell the 90mm and not
>miss it at all, however there is the odd time when it comes in handy.

Unfortunately, the 75mm frame was added as an afterthought, and it
shows.  The pairing of 28 with 90 and 35 with 135 makes sense, as it's hard
to confuse one lens of the pair with the other.  Vut 50 and 75 is too
close, and the little corners for 75 leave too much room for error on a
fast shoot.

The best viewfinder for a 75 is the Bessa R, which, unfortunately, has too
short a base and the wrong mount for the 75/1.4.

I've never had the desire for a 75mm lens.  It seems too close to a
50.  For an 85 or 90,  an SLR is probably better, but if you've already got
the RF and the lenses are great anyway, or what you're shooting is better
suited to RF--well, whatever works.  See my next post for an experience
where only a Leica would do.

- --Peter Klein
Seattle. WA

- --Peter