Subject: Re: [Leica] OT using Hewes reels
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 14:12:05 -0800

Dan Honemann wrote:

> Is there any trick to using Hewes reels?  I just got a set and am having
> some difficulty threading the negatives into the reel.  I get about so far
> (maybe two iterations into the reel) when it just stops threading and I
> can't seem to move the strip any further no matter how much I force it.
> Since folks here universally praise Hewes reels, I figure I must be doing
> something dumb.
>
> Thanks,
> Dan

I'm a little new to them myself only recently switched all my 35mm reels over to
them so i have 8!!! big bucks!

I think the little grabber which automatically grab your sprocket holes don't
always grab the very end.
So there is  and inch sticking out which gets in the way of the rolling.
So I'll not use their automatic grabbers
but just stick the film in the middle and it works great.
I love these reels, they are SO solid!
I'm sure when and if they ever hit the floor they will still work.
They have a website now
http://www.hewes.co.uk/

and when you e mail them the head of the whole company gets right back to you.

"Mr. Hewe's i presume?"
Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon
USA
updated temporary Website by "Foxy": http://spokenword.to/rabiner/
(consisting of late night E-mail descriptions of photos)

Replies: Reply from Dan Cardish <dcardish@sympatico.ca> (Re: [Leica] OT using Hewes reels)
Reply from Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com> (Re: [Leica] OT using Hewes reels)