Subject: [Leica] First contact
From: imx <imxputs@knoware.nl>
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2001 13:25:35 +0100

³Captain Picard! Long range sensors pick up signs of an unknown lifeform.²
³Bring us into orbit, Mr LaForge²
³Data, can you identify this lifeform?²
³It is a Borg-like collective, Sir. They are in constant mental contact with
each other and they share all their thoughts and emotions. They call
themselves Luggers.²
³Luddites, you mean, Mr Data?²
 ³Incorrect, Sir, They are Luggers!²
³What are they doing? Can they de dangerous?²
³I am not sure, but they seem to babble, Sir!²
³Babble Mr. Data?²
³Yes Sir, they are communicating through a primitive technology about a
large number of unrelated topics, that seem to repeat every 8 months, 3
days, 6 hours and 13 seconds. They are a very closed society and do not
assimilate knowledge from other cultures. In fact they refuse to accept new
knowledge and seem to internally generate their own concepts which they
presumably value highly.²
³You mean Mr Data that we are dealing with a non-learning culture?²
³Effectively, yes Sir. The repetitious nature of their conversation does
indicate an unwillingness to expand their knowledge and experience.²
³Can you identify a leader with whom we may discuss their situation. They
may be in danger when they encounter the Borg.²
³No Sir, the Borg will only assimilate a culture when they can add to their
own knowledge. This culture does not offer the Borg anything they might
need. There is no leader, either, Sir. Some individuals are more expressive
and express themselves more often, but they seem  not to be valued any
higher than the others.²
³In fact a very democratic or even anarchical type of society. Can they
evolve?²
³ Hardly Sir, they lack the necessary tools and infrastructure to become a
mature society. Nothing indicates they would prefer that.²
³Data, can you identify a pattern in their doings?²
³Difficult to say, Sir. On the one hand they talk at length about weapon
systems, idicating a violent nature, but on the other hand they indulge
themselves in obsolete topics, that have lost meaning in our age.²
³Example, Mr Data?²
³At this very moment they communicate about a topic called ³DOF², that is
part of applied geometrical optics, which has no meaning to us anymore, as
we use fotons as the base for our imaging systems, and  we are in particle
and electron optics. There is no consensus however, as they lack a common
base of scientific knowledge and the structure of their debate is
reminiscent of a fairy tale: full of surprising twists, but without any
regard for facts. Based on my predictions, they will close the topic soon
and start it again in 11 months, 12 days, 9 hours and 15 seconds with an
error margin of 0.03 percent.²
³Well Mr Data, will they survive?²
³Positive, Sir, They have effective cloaking devices and shielded themselves
from outside sources by some peculiar human habits².
³Yes Mr Data, I am familiar with these. So let us leave this sector.  Mr
LaForge, warp 6.²
³Red alert, red alert, the Luggers have infected our computer systems! We
cannot leave. Abandon ship!²

Erwin

Replies: Reply from "kididdoc" <kididdoc@home.com> (Re: [Leica] First contact)
Reply from "Ted Grant" <tedgrant@home.com> (Re: [Leica] First contact)