Subject: [Leica] Re: *@#% straps Really Sad story! :-)
From: "Ted Grant" <tedgrant@home.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2001 09:37:27 -0800

This isn't slippery straps, but it sure tells the dangers of carrying big
glass on a monopod ""without a strap in hand !""

!988 Winter Olympics. Calgary, Canada.  This was a test site for  6
prototype Leica 400 mm 2.8 lenses.

One booked for a Brit photographer, two for German shooters and one for me.
The other two were loaned to photogs who wished to try them.

Half way through the games someone asked if I was the guy who smashed a 400?
No not me!

On closing ceremony day I returned my lens in perfect order, as the value
placed on each was in the range of $20,000 to $25,000, so who wouldn't
handle with mega care.

"Hey guys I heard a 400 was damaged?"  "Ya, vould you like to see it?"
"Sure," says I.

And out comes the "broken lens!" In two pieces split right in half.!  Brit
shooter put the monopod on his shoulder and "OOPS!" screw snapped off the
monopod and camera, lens crashed to the floor.

6 months later at the Summer Olympics in Seoul, Korea there are now 5,
Leica 400 mm for testing. The same 4 shooters as in Calgary.

Closing day I return my lens with my report. "Here's the lens back, carried
it around like a new born child."  Leica rep, "Well that's good to hear,
glad somebody did."  "Not another one?"says I

Yep! Better than the Calgary one!  I go in the service centre and lying
there is a completely smashed to bits brand new R7 and motor, along with the
lens broken up with the front element looking like an oyster shell! :-(

Same guy, Brit, same trick! Only this time he put the gear up over his
shoulder while going up the concrete stairway of the Main Stadium and
camera, motor and lens went down the stairs end over end to the bottom!
Leaving bits and pieces as it flipped and bounced through the air!

Like this one photographer destroyed $50,000 worth of gear, on loan, in just
6 months!

I asked, "Are guys going to loan what's his face anymore gear for testing?"

The answer isn't repeatable as it was in German, and as I don't understand
enough of the language to make it all out, I did get the drift of the
meaning quite well! :-) I can assure you it isn't for mixed company
e-mail!;-)

So don't feel too bad when you merely bump a rangefinder out. ;-)
ted

Ted Grant Photography Limited
www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant