Subject: [Leica] V35
From: "Mitch Brown" <leicameter@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2001 23:08:36 +1300

Tom, like you I wanted to try a Schneider 40/2.8 on the V35. However on
checking with people who use this lens the sad fact is that the auto focus
doesn't appear to work correctly. This has nothing to do with setting the
autofocus up as per the instructions but more to do with the difference in
the focal length between the Focotar and Schneider lenses. Even though they
are both supposed to 40mm they apparently aren't exactly 40mm, one being
slightly shorter than the other or longer if you prefer. Whether there is a
way to adjust the mechanism to work with the Schneider I don't know.

Personally if I were to buy a V35 without a lens I would buy the Schneider
and not worry about the autofocus.
Incidentally there is a Focotar 40/2.8 for sale on ebay right now under the
title Leitz Focotar but it's attracting quite a few bids.