Subject: [Leica] Re: I use UVa filters - when should is it critical to take them off
From: Jim Brick <jim_brick@agilent.com>
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2001 09:36:05 -0800

When taking a photograph with the sun at your back, overcast sky, or fog,
the filter will be fine. All other photographic situations, flare can be a
problem. The best solution is to take it off anytime you are taking a
photograph. Put it on when you are finished. That is, use it as a lens cap
only. You can even paint it black so you won't forget.

Had you been using an SLR, you would have seen the flare on the GG. With an
M, you just have to be aware of high contrast scenes, lights, sun,
reflections, etc. Therefore, with an M, it is better to photograph without
a filter unless you are "certain" that there is nothing that is going to
cause flare, microflare, or ghosting. Not always easy to do.

Jim