Subject: [Leica] Re: HIE
From: Jim Brick <jim_brick@agilent.com>
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2001 08:34:40 -0800

- --=====================_264293313==_.ALT

 From JOBO's web site:

Can I process infrared films in JOBO's plastic tanks?

Historically infrared films (IR) have had the reputation that they cannot be
processed in plastic tanks. In many plastic tanks this was true. The type of
plastic used and the way it was pigmented to appear black affected its opacity
to IR wave lengths. However, every test we have conducted has confirmed the
ability of JOBO tanks to be thoroughly compatible with IR films. This includes
Kodak's new Ektachrome Infrared film (EIR). Your biggest concern in handling IR
films will be in loading the film onto the reels. Many film changing bags will
not be opaque to IR radiation. Generally it is necessary to load the material
in a proper darkroom in order to assure protection against fogging.

Jim

At 07:21 AM 2/1/01 +0100, Nathan Wajsman wrote:
>Hi Mark,
>
>I have been wondering about the same thing, as I am also about to try my
>first roll
>of this film and I use black plastic Jobo developing tanks. But logically it
>should
>be OK, since the film is shipped in a black plastic canister which is much
>thinner
>than the developing tank.
>
>Nathan
>
>Mark Rabiner wrote:
>
>> Running this stuff in my darkroom for the first time. High Speed Infrared.
>35mm
>> I've got black plastic lids for my metal tanks.
>> Are they OK?
>> The instructions say IR transmits freely through black plastic.
>> I'm planing on loading my tank with a changing bag in my dark darkroom.
>> But i wasn't planning on developing the film in my darkroom in the closed
>tank
>> with the lights off.
>> Anyone do this?
>
>--
>Nathan Wajsman
>Herrliberg (ZH), Switzerland
>
>e-mail: wajsman@webshuttle.ch
>
>General photo site: http://belgiangator.tripod.com/
>Belgium photo site: http://members.xoom.com/wajsman/
>Motorcycle site: http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Downs/1704/

- --=====================_264293313==_.ALT

 From JOBO's web site:<br>
Can I process infrared films in JOBO's plastic tanks?<br>
Historically infrared films (IR) have had the reputation that they cannot
be processed in plastic tanks. In many plastic tanks this was true. The
type of plastic used and the way it was pigmented to appear black
affected its opacity to IR wave lengths. However, every test we have
conducted has confirmed the ability of JOBO tanks to be thoroughly
compatible with IR films. This includes Kodak's new Ektachrome Infrared
handling IR films will be in loading the film onto the reels. Many film
changing bags will not be opaque to IR radiation. Generally it is
necessary to load the material in a proper darkroom in order to assure
protection against fogging.<br>
Jim<br>
At 07:21 AM 2/1/01 +0100, Nathan Wajsman wrote:<br>
&gt;Hi Mark,<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;I have been wondering about the same thing, as I am also about to try
my <br>
&gt;first roll<br>
&gt;of this film and I use black plastic Jobo developing tanks. But
logically it <br>
&gt;should<br>
&gt;be OK, since the film is shipped in a black plastic canister which is
much <br>
&gt;thinner<br>
&gt;than the developing tank.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;Nathan<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;Mark Rabiner wrote:<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; Running this stuff in my darkroom for the first time. High Speed
Infrared. <br>
&gt;35mm<br>
&gt;&gt; I've got black plastic lids for my metal tanks.<br>
&gt;&gt; Are they OK?<br>
&gt;&gt; The instructions say IR transmits freely through black
plastic.<br>
&gt;&gt; I'm planing on loading my tank with a changing bag in my dark
darkroom.<br>
&gt;&gt; But i wasn't planning on developing the film in my darkroom in
the closed <br>
&gt;tank<br>
&gt;&gt; with the lights off.<br>
&gt;&gt; Anyone do this?<br>