Subject: [Leica] RE: Photo opportunities in Monterey area
From: Jim Brick <jim_brick@agilent.com>
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2001 08:31:56 -0800

- --=====================_264129297==_.ALT

Being a native of the area and publishing photo books of the area, that are
sold in some of the stores, all of the bookstores, I can tell you a lot about
the area.

The first place you should visit is the Silver Light Gallery on the corner of
San Carlos and 6th in Carmel. This is a photography only gallery and has some
of the worlds greatest photographs. They are the main representative of Mark
and David Muench and John Wawrzonek. Be careful where you drool.

South of Carmel, stop at Monastery beach (Monastery on the hill left side of
the road, beach on the right) for a good view of Pt. Lobos.
http://www.gomonterey.com/regions/carmel/parks_beaches.html

Another mile down the road, go into Pt Lobos. Visit Weston Beach (cool rock
formations, driftwood, etc.) then on to China Cove. There are many great places
to photograph at Pt. Lobos.
http://pt-lobos.parks.state.ca.us/

Farther down highway 1 is Garrapata State park on the left, followed a mile or
so later by Garrapata Beach on the right. Both great places to visit and
photograph. http://parks.ca.gov/central/monterey/gsp.htm

As you head south from here, as the road tops a ridge, is a sign for "Rocky
Point Inn". Turn immediately right, at the sign and go down to Rocky Point Inn,
go to the far left parking lot. Great view of the coastline heading south.

Farther down highway 1 is Bixby Bridge. If it isn't still under
re-construction, take the dirt road to the left before the bridge for a view
back of the bridge and the ocean.

Farther down highway 1 is Hurricane Point. There are some dirt turnouts, as you
head down the hill, with a great view of Pt. Sur (a large rock island - at high
tide - with a lighthouse). If you have the time and are there at the correct
time, you can tour Pt. Sur and the lighthouse.
http://www.lighthouse-pointsur-ca.org/ (picture taken from Hurricane Point.)

Farther down highway 1 is Big Sur. Visit the Phoenix Gift shop and buy one of
my books!  :-) "for the love of Carmel, Monterey, and Pacific Grove, a SCENIC
NATURAL COOKBOOK" My photographs, my wife's recipes.

Past Big Sur proper is Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park. Exit Highway 1 to the
left. Their is a short trail (very well marked) that goes back under highway 1
out to the beach where there is a waterfall falling onto the beach. Very
photogenic. http://parks.ca.gov/central/monterey/jpbsp.htm

Another good planning site is
http://www.gomonterey.com/regions/carmel/parks_beaches.html

Have fun,

Jim

- --=====================_264129297==_.ALT

Being a native of the area and publishing photo books of the area, that
are sold in some of the stores, all of the bookstores, I can tell you a
lot about the area.<br>
The first place you should visit is the Silver Light Gallery on the
corner of San Carlos and 6th in Carmel. This is a photography only
gallery and has some of the worlds greatest photographs. They are the
main representative of Mark and David Muench and John Wawrzonek. Be
careful where you drool.<br>
South of Carmel, stop at Monastery beach (Monastery on the hill left side
of the road, beach on the right) for a good view of Pt. Lobos.
Another mile down the road, go into Pt Lobos. Visit Weston Beach (cool
rock formations, driftwood, etc.) then on to China Cove. There are many
great places to photograph at Pt. Lobos.<br>
Farther down highway 1 is Garrapata State park on the left, followed a
mile or so later by Garrapata Beach on the right. Both great places to
visit and photograph.
As you head south from here, as the road tops a ridge, is a sign for
&quot;Rocky Point Inn&quot;. Turn immediately right, at the sign and go
down to Rocky Point Inn, go to the far left parking lot. Great view of
the coastline heading south.<br>
Farther down highway 1 is Bixby Bridge. If it isn't still under
re-construction, take the dirt road to the left before the bridge for a
view back of the bridge and the ocean.<br>
Farther down highway 1 is Hurricane Point. There are some dirt turnouts,
as you head down the hill, with a great view of Pt. Sur (a large rock
island - at high tide - with a lighthouse). If you have the time and are
there at the correct time, you can tour Pt. Sur and the lighthouse.
(picture taken from Hurricane Point.)<br>
Farther down highway 1 is Big Sur. Visit the Phoenix Gift shop and buy one of my books!&nbsp; :-) &quot;for the love of Carmel, Monterey, and Pacific Grove, a SCENIC NATURAL COOKBOOK&quot; My photographs, my wife's recipes.<br>
Past Big Sur proper is Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park. Exit Highway 1 to the left. Their is a short trail (very well marked) that goes back under highway 1 out to the beach where there is a waterfall falling onto the beach. Very photogenic. <a href="http://parks.ca.gov/central/monterey/jpbsp.htm" eudora="autourl">http://parks.ca.gov/central/monterey/jpbsp.htm</a><br>
Another good planning site is&nbsp; <a href="http://www.gomonterey.com/regions/carmel/parks_beaches.html" eudora="autourl">http://www.gomonterey.com/regions/carmel/parks_beaches.html<br>
</a>Have fun,<br>
Jim<br>
&nbsp;</html>