Subject: [Leica] Re: LHSA Meeting
From: "Gary Todoroff" <datamaster@humboldt1.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 13:40:24 -0800

Here's the explanation, Mark. I researched Portland as an LHSA conference
site and presented it to the LHSA board (I was a board member then, too) at
the 1999 meeting in Chicago. No West Coast site had been selected in about
10 years, and it took some persuasion that Portland would be a great site.
Remember that to many on the board, "out west" means Ohio - practically the
frontier, you know.

The motion passed, and I gave a huge stack of convention materials and
contact people to the board. I also forwarded many more materials and phone
calls in the next few months. Everyone in  the convention business in
Portland warned of how fast venues fill up, so I mentioned several times to
the board and president that time was of the essence. George Dolittle from
Portland volunteered from the very start to be a local rep to help with any
leg work in town, so help was close at hand, too.

The "re-venue" to San Antonio is, at best, a decision made by benign
neglect. Many convention sites fill up within two years of the scheduled
event. That's why the LHSA board always plans for the conference two years
in the future.

I am very disappointed, too, that Portland will no longer be the site for
this year's LHSA conference. It would have made a fantastic site, both for
the conference and for photography. Downtown is not as expensive as at many
other cities, and it's a great place for walking around, especially the
parks and along the Willamette River. The nearby Columbia River Gorge would
have satisfied the latent Ansel Adams urges in anyone, not to mention all
the downtown markets, craft fairs and street scenes for the Cartier-Bresson
approach.

BTW, Bill Grimwood was not involved early on, so don't blame him for not
being able to find a spot in Portland. I would appreciate any comments from
LHSA people, on or off list, for why a jewel like Portland was allowed to
slip through our fingers. Maybe we should plan a big LUG meeting in Portland
sometime soon?

Regards,
Gary Todoroff
Tree LUGger