Subject: [Leica] Italy: Camera/lens advice
From: "Michael Darnton" <mdarnton@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 23:40:05

I just did Venice, Florence, and Milan, and went through almost exactly the
same thing you did. I left the Olympus home (usually it's what I take on
vacation, for the reason of possible loss), and brought my M4-2, 50/2 and
Voigtlander 25. I opted to leave my Canon 85/1.5 home, after considering the
two pounds it would add and didn't miss it. I did, however, wish I'd brought
my Voigtlander 15. Venice and Florence were both very tight, and
simultaneously very high. I don't remember Rome being quite as tall from my
trip there. I can't say what I would have done for countryside--maybe I'd
have taken the 85, too, but I think not. I'd actually considered, the day
before leaving, picking up a 90 Elmar, but then realized I wouldn't have
been able to test it, so I guess if I were you I'd certainly throw it in. In
Venice and Florence, however, there was no use for it.

I have never had theft problems on trips, but I tend to carry my camera
under my jacket on my shoulder (why the Leica this time instead of the Oly,
which doesn't fit), and I made certain to do it all the time on this trip,
instead of carrying it out as I sometimes do. I also opted for pockets and
fanny pack, but usually used pockets (are we twins separated at birth or
something????) A friend of mine tells of being covered with gypsy kids at
the train station in Rome who were attempting to empty his pockets, but
nothing even remotely similar happened to me on this trip, or ever, in fact.
I usually try to be completely inconspicuous and unfashionable, so I guess
that helps.

The place I messed up was exposure. I never use a meter at home, and never
need one. Turns out I should have had one in Italy, and today I received my
new Voigtlander teeny meter from Stephen Gandy. Wish I'd had it for the
trip, so I wouldn't now be tweaking stuff so mercilessly in Photoshop to
correct my consistent underexposures (Shall I say it again: Venice and
Florence are narrow and tall: not much light gets in, apparently, even when
the sky's bright. :-(

- --Michael

>>Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 11:44:17 -0800From: "Peter A. Klein"
My wife and I plan to vacation in Italy this spring.  We'll visit Rome,
Sienna, Florence, and Venice, with side trips to Pompeii and the
countryside around Sienna.   I'm already thinking about what camera and
lenses to take.