Subject: Re: [Leica] Black and white printers
From: Tina Manley <images@InfoAve.Net>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 13:18:02 -0500

Simon -

The only reason to go with the 3000 (I have two of them) is if you need the
larger size prints or want the large capacity ink cartridges.  The quality
is about the same for all of the printers with Piezography but the newer
ones seem to have fewer problems with banding (which I've never had but
others have.)

The 1270 is on sale now at The Stock Solution web site.  Here is what Royce
Bair says about it:

EPSON DROPS PRICE ON 1270 TO $399.00
EPSON INTRODUCING 1290 INTO THE U.S.A. ON FEBRUARY 11th
1290 or 1270? - OUR RECOMMENDATIONS
Epson has introduced the new 1290 in some parts of Europe. We can probably
expect Epson to announce it at the PMA convention in Orlando, Florida (Feb.
11-14). Last year at the PMA (in Las Vegas), Epson announced the 1270 and
870, but it was over a month before it hit the dealers shelves. Expect the
same thing to happen this year: The 1290 will probably not be regularly
available at dealers until mid March 2001.
You can always tell that Epson is about to phase out a product and
introduce a replacement, when they drop the price on that product (the only
time that hasn't occurred is with the 3000 and 1520 - they dropped the
prices dramatically, and these old "work horses" still remain in
production). The 1160 had been at $449 for over a year. They dropped the
price to $299, and announced discontinued production about three to four
months later.
Epson has just announced a price reduction for the 1270 to a suggested
price of $399.00, so expect it to be discontinued within about 4 months or
less.
The specifications for the new 1290 (from the European web sites) show that
it, along with all the other new printers Epson is introducing, will be
capable of a new printing resolution of 720 x 2880 dpi. Going to this
higher resolution will increase the printing time by about 2X, and for a
very little increase in quality -- the 1270 is already has the highest
visual quality of any printer Epson makes (higher than that of a real
photographic print). This increase in resolution comes only through an
increase in the stepping motor increments -- it is just advancing the paper
a shorter distance (1/2 that of the 720 x 1440 dpi mode) between each print
head pass. We also estimate that using the 720 x 2880 dpi mode will
probably use about 50% more ink (as it currently does when going from 720 x
720 dpi to 720 x 1440 dpi). The 720 x 2880 dpi print mode will show some
improvement for 4-ink printers that is worth the increased wait and ink
usage, but for the already ultra-smooth 6-ink 1270, going to the 2880 mode
that will be available in the 1290 is not really worth it. Oh, here's
another improvement: The 1290 will also print 3% faster in color than the
1270. Whoopee! ;-)
The 1270 has already been out for almost a year now, and has a proven
record of great performance and reliability (remember, that the "cyan dye
fading", or "orange" print problem with the ozone gas is a PGPP or
paper/ink problem, not a "printer" problem). Did you know that on the Epson
UK site (they often give much more info than Epson America) they rate the
1270's reliability at over 25,000 letter size pages?! Who knows if the
1290's new "2880" stepping motor will alter that reliability? Our advice to
our customers: Don't wait for the 1290 -- save $100, and buy the 1270 now,
while they're still available! Remember, that at Inkjet Art Solutions, you
get FREE shipping on a 1270:

Hope this helps.

Tina

At 05:37 PM 1/19/01 +0000, you wrote:
>I have searched through the archives and saw many messages about inkjet
>printers and Quad inks and Cone systems etc.  I wish to print some black and
>white scanned images at the higest quality I can, whether that is as good as
>or nearly as good as darkroom produced prints.  Can anyone who has started
>down this road, and therefore has real world views on using such technology,
>provide me with some guidance as to the state-of-the art as it currently
>exists.  I presume we would definitely be talking about using the Cone (or
>equivalent system) but which printer would provide the highest quality
>prints.  I have seen mention of the 1270 (or 1290 as it now is), the 2000p
>(although I believe the Cone system cannot be used with this printer), the
>3000 and the 1160.  I know that size of print is a question that will affect
>the choice.  I will mainly be printing 10x8, but am happy to pay more for an
>A3+ printer if the quality is better than others.
>
>If you wish to save bandwidth or avoid repetition then please feel free to
>reply privately.
>
>Thanks.
>
>Simon

Tina Manley, ASMP