Subject: Re: [Leica] Black and white printers
From: "Henning J. Wulff" <henningw@archiphoto.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 11:31:39 -0800

At 1:18 PM -0500 19/1/01, Tina Manley wrote:
>Simon -
>
>The only reason to go with the 3000 (I have two of them) is if you
>need the larger size prints or want the large capacity ink
>cartridges.  The quality is about the same for all of the printers
>with Piezography but the newer ones seem to have fewer problems with
>banding (which I've never had but others have.)
>
>The 1270 is on sale now at The Stock Solution web site.  Here is
>what Royce Bair says about it:

<snip>

>Hope this helps.
>
>Tina
>

>At 05:37 PM 1/19/01 +0000, you wrote:
>>I have searched through the archives and saw many messages about inkjet
>>printers and Quad inks and Cone systems etc.  I wish to print some black and
>>white scanned images at the higest quality I can, whether that is as good as
>>or nearly as good as darkroom produced prints.  Can anyone who has started
>>down this road, and therefore has real world views on using such technology,
>>provide me with some guidance as to the state-of-the art as it currently
>>exists.  I presume we would definitely be talking about using the Cone (or
>>equivalent system) but which printer would provide the highest quality
>>prints.  I have seen mention of the 1270 (or 1290 as it now is), the 2000p
>>(although I believe the Cone system cannot be used with this printer), the
>>3000 and the 1160.  I know that size of print is a question that will affect
>>the choice.  I will mainly be printing 10x8, but am happy to pay more for an
>>A3+ printer if the quality is better than others.
>>
>>If you wish to save bandwidth or avoid repetition then please feel free to
>>reply privately.
>>
>>Thanks.
>>
>>Simon

The 1270 (and presumably 1290) can't use the Piezography system as
they can't take third party cartridges due to Epson putting
proprietary chips in them. There are still a few 1160 printers out
there, which seem to have fewer paper handling problems than the
3000. The 3000 is otherwise the only Piezography capable printer in
this range.

- --
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design