Subject: Re: [Leica] Black and white printers
From: "Simon Lamb" <simon@sclamb.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2001 00:12:40 -0000

Tina and everyone who offered advice,

Thank you all for the great response to my question.  I have decided to go
with the Espon 1160 with ConeTech BW system for B&W printing exclusively.  I
may (funds permitting) replace my Photo 700 with a new 1270 (or 1290) for
colour printing - this printer has had excellent reviews for its colour
output quality.  I am waiting for a response from ConeTech regarding whether
there is a UK distributor for their BW system.

Thanks again to Tina and everyone else.

Simon

Tina Manley Wrote:

> Simon -
>
> The only reason to go with the 3000 (I have two of them) is if you need
the
> larger size prints or want the large capacity ink cartridges.  The quality
> is about the same for all of the printers with Piezography but the newer
> ones seem to have fewer problems with banding (which I've never had but
> others have.)
>
> The 1270 is on sale now at The Stock Solution web site.  Here is what
Royce
> Bair says about it:
>
> EPSON DROPS PRICE ON 1270 TO $399.00
> EPSON INTRODUCING 1290 INTO THE U.S.A. ON FEBRUARY 11th
> 1290 or 1270? - OUR RECOMMENDATIONS
> Epson has introduced the new 1290 in some parts of Europe. We can probably
> expect Epson to announce it at the PMA convention in Orlando, Florida
(Feb.
> 11-14). Last year at the PMA (in Las Vegas), Epson announced the 1270 and
> 870, but it was over a month before it hit the dealers shelves. Expect the
> same thing to happen this year: The 1290 will probably not be regularly
> available at dealers until mid March 2001.
> You can always tell that Epson is about to phase out a product and
> introduce a replacement, when they drop the price on that product (the
only
> time that hasn't occurred is with the 3000 and 1520 - they dropped the
> prices dramatically, and these old "work horses" still remain in
> production). The 1160 had been at $449 for over a year. They dropped the
> price to $299, and announced discontinued production about three to four
> months later.
> Epson has just announced a price reduction for the 1270 to a suggested
> price of $399.00, so expect it to be discontinued within about 4 months or
> less.
> The specifications for the new 1290 (from the European web sites) show
that
> it, along with all the other new printers Epson is introducing, will be
> capable of a new printing resolution of 720 x 2880 dpi. Going to this
> higher resolution will increase the printing time by about 2X, and for a
> very little increase in quality -- the 1270 is already has the highest
> visual quality of any printer Epson makes (higher than that of a real
> photographic print). This increase in resolution comes only through an
> increase in the stepping motor increments -- it is just advancing the
paper
> a shorter distance (1/2 that of the 720 x 1440 dpi mode) between each
print
> head pass. We also estimate that using the 720 x 2880 dpi mode will
> probably use about 50% more ink (as it currently does when going from 720
> 720 dpi to 720 x 1440 dpi). The 720 x 2880 dpi print mode will show some
> improvement for 4-ink printers that is worth the increased wait and ink
> usage, but for the already ultra-smooth 6-ink 1270, going to the 2880 mode
> that will be available in the 1290 is not really worth it. Oh, here's
> another improvement: The 1290 will also print 3% faster in color than the
> 1270. Whoopee! ;-)
> The 1270 has already been out for almost a year now, and has a proven
> record of great performance and reliability (remember, that the "cyan dye
> fading", or "orange" print problem with the ozone gas is a PGPP or
> paper/ink problem, not a "printer" problem). Did you know that on the
Epson

Replies: Reply from George Hartzell <hartzell@cs.berkeley.edu> (Re: [Leica] Black and white printers)
Reply from "Margaret Jeffcoat" <margaret01@excelonline.com> (Re: [Leica] Black and white printers)
Reply from Tina Manley <images@InfoAve.Net> (Re: [Leica] Black and white printers)