Subject: [Leica] RE: 75 Summilux M, focus point approximation, 75mm frame, and Dr. Joseph Yao
From: "EXT-Alexander, John" <John.Alexander@ARZ.Boeing.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 15:18:30 -0700

Dan Honemann wrote:
John,
...Great minds think alike. :).   I have the same three lens combination
(35/1.4,
50/2, 75/1.4) and from the same source (the venerable Dr. Yao), but
currently only two bodies (Hexar RF and .72x M6 TTL).  A third body is
inevitable, as I've discovered recently what a pity it is to change lenses.
What do you use with your 75?  I'd love to have a .85x M6 TTL modified so
that only a solid 75 frameline would show up in the finder...

Dan, it's incredible (in light of all of the diverse advice on our beloved
LUG) that we both arrived at similar conclusions regarding equipment and
chose the same supplier to buy from.  Chances of that happening are slim,
indeed.  I did a lot of research and "what if" thinking before making those
decisions.  I'm sure your conclusions were made after careful planning, as
well.  You wouldn't happen to be shooting Astia and/or Agfa Scala would you?
You wouldn't by chance be using a Domke F803 bag would you?  Any Billingham
or Fogg supplementary bags?  Grips on your cameras for easy of withdrawal
from the carrying case  and for enhanced balance?

I decided to simplify my life by using one magnification for all three of my
TTL M's - 0.85.  It's easy to get used to using the entire field of view of
the 35mm ASPH 'Lux with the 0.85  Having only one magnification gives one a
lot of flexibility - although many would disagree.  Three bodies with three
lenses is definitely the way to go.  A 90mm and 21mm (w/finder) would extend
this outfit to cover just about any conceivable situation (at a pretty hefty
cost, though).  I normally use the 75/90 (in a customized F803) when I'm out
shooting.  When I want to travel ultra light, I take the 50 'cron in a Fogg
Xylaphone bag.  I, too, find myself lusting for a solid 75mm
frameline...but, I doubt we'll see one on the M in our lifetime.  Best
regards to you, Dan.  Stay in touch!

John A. Alexander
Phoenix, AZ