Subject: [Leica] 75mm Summilux M, focus point approximation, 75mm frame, and Dr. Joseph Yao
From: "EXT-Alexander, John" <John.Alexander@ARZ.Boeing.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 15:44:23 -0700

75mm Summilux M, focus point approximation, 75mm frame, and Dr. Joseph Yao

I have three M lenses (on three separate M6TTL bodies) at present: 35mm
Summilux ASPH, 75mm Summilux, and 50mm Summicron (latest).  All three lenses
get a lot of use: 35mm (35%) 75mm (45%) and 50mm (20%). My favorite lens is
the 75mm Summilux (wins by a hair over the 35mm ASPH) for my kind of
shooting.  I agree with the comments about the combination of azor sharpness
and creamy bokeh.
If you use the 75mm for portraiture (as I do mostly) there's a simple little
test you can do to see (as a good approximation) how far off the focus is.
Open up the aperture to f1.4.  Use reversal film. Have your subject sit at
your favorite portrait distance from you and hold three fingers together on
his/her right hand  (a la Boy Scout sign).  Have the subject bring the
joined fingers to the tip of his/her nose -with the knuckles facing right.
Focus on the finger closest to the camera and snap the picture.  Peel away
the finger closest to the camera (Cub Scout sign) and repeat the process.
Repeat the process for the (We're #1) finger.  Do the same for tip of the
nose, bridge of the nose, the eyes , and the ears.  When the pictures are
developed look at how crisp the eyes are in each shot and use the best one
as an indication of focus point in future shots.  Of course, you'll have to
have your subjects do the "fingers test" if your focus point is that far
forward.

To get around the skimpy 75mm viewfinder frame, try using the 90mm frame
(push frame lever toward the lens) as the frame for enclosing the subject.
Place the subject within the best perspective of the 90 frame and CROP
TIGHTLY.  Release the frame lever and squeeze the shutter.  After awhile,
you'll know just how much of the crop you need to get exactly what you want.
After you do this a few times, you'll never bother to look at the 75
framelines again.

Incidentally, I purchased both the 75 Summilux and 35 Summilux ASPH (along
with the M6's they are "glued" to ), all brand new, from Dr. Yao.  He not
only provides outstanding prices, but makes the whole buying experience a
sheer pleasure.  YOU WILL ABSOLUTELY  DO NO BETTER than dealing with this
very fine gentleman.  THANK YOU JOSEPH!

John A. Alexander
Phoenix, AZ