Subject: Re: [Leica] Shooting color for film scanning
From: Henry Ambrose <henryambrose@home.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 17:25:33 -0600

>When shooting in color for film scanning, is it best to shoot slides or
>color negative film or does it matter?
Better may be different for different needs.
Color neg is probably the easiest to get processed and the easiest to
expose well. It will also capture a wider scene range than tranparency
film. You will most likely want small prints or a contact sheet to view.
Same as your C41 B&W film. This would sure make your life simple.

OTOH you can just look at a color transparency with a loupe. Often they
are preferred for publication use. You can project them! It may be harder
for you to get these processed depending on where you live or work.

For photos of people I prefer color neg for its usually lower contrast
and generally more pleasing skin tones. It is also easier to deal with
when shot under different light sources.
>There has been one recommendation for a film scanner to look for. Any
>thoughts?
Used scanners to look for :
Polaroid Sprint Scan 35 Plus or similar Nikon model, these will be SCSI.
What do you have  on your computer?

New models may be USB and firewire. You might look at the new Nikon entry
level model. I think they have been referenced on the LUG in the last day
or two. It may be as almost as cheap as a used model and perform better.
I think they will ship in March. Seems like I read that they will sell
for $800-900. Without having used one I say wait for them and don't put
your money in an old machine.

>Thanks
>
>Adam Bridge

Henry