Subject: Re: [Leica] Digital Image File Formats
From: Henry Ambrose <henryambrose@home.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 15:04:21 -0600

>On 14 Jan 01, at 15:36, Henry Ambrose wrote:
>
>> >GIF, JPG, TIFF, BMP, etc
>> Of these 4 only TIFF is lossless.
>
>Henry, it is my understanding that BMP is lossless for 24-bit RGB
>images. If you've other information, I'd like to know.

Tim,
You are right.

When I answered I thought only of the ones I see which are typically a
wallpaper file and of lower quality. It is the standard in the Microsoft
"office computer" world.

And on this subject,

I still suggest that TIFF is the single best solution and well supported
across platforms.

IMO
Using a lossy or proprietary compression scheme that is not universally
available is akin to not properly washing your film or prints. It could
(will) come back to haunt you later.

Henry