Subject: [Leica] 0.58 vs 0.72 Mag Finder
From: JULIAN TOPLEY <topley@usa.net>
Date: 14 Jan 2001 23:21:13 EST

I am about to take the plunge and buy myself an M system and though it has
been a bit of a process choosing what outfit to get (chrome vs. black, primary
lens to use and viewfinder magnification) I have whittled it down to a chrome
M6 TTL with a matching chrome 35mm Summicron Asph (I prefer the older chrome
look together with it's better wearing characteristics).  With those decisions
made I am now stuck with which view finder magnification to go with.

I am a glasses wearer and when viewing with the 0.85 I can't see the 35mm
frame lines and there is no 28mm which leaves the 0.72 and 0.58.  Having
looked at the 0.58 on Saturday and comparing it with a 0.72 I have to say it
is brighter and sharper than the 0.72, apparently less prone to flare and you
can see the 28mm frame lines without having to take off your glasses.

With regard to future lens choices that I would use with this body, I would
think that after the 35mm Summicron and some more money, the next lenses would
have be a 90mm followed by a 28mm Elmarit.

Does anyone have any experience with the 0.58 finder; is there anything that I
should be aware of, i.e. poor frame line sizing for the 90mm or focusing
accuracy when compared with the 0.72?

Any comments/advise would be greatly appreciated.

Replies: Reply from Alastair Firkin <firkin@netconnect.com.au> (Re: [Leica] 0.58 vs 0.72 Mag Finder)
Reply from "julianthomas.terra.es" <julianthomas@terra.es> (Re: [Leica] 0.58 vs 0.72 Mag Finder)