Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Superia Reala
From: "Dan Post" <dpost@triad.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2001 10:49:31 -0500

My experience with working in a Fuji lab is this:
The Reala technology was and is the fourth layer that compensates such that
the film responds to various lighting types as your eye dioes- therefore the
photostaken under flourescent and tungsten are somewhat more realistic
looking- even with out filter changes. The fact that they capture light not
normally caught by color film, means that with judicious filtering, that you
can get very good color under a variety of situations. The basic problem
with most film is that the light from tungsten sources are deficient in
blue, and flourescent light is deficient in red. Now, if the light is not
there in suffucuent quantitiy to expose the film, then adding filtration at
printing simply will not fully compensate for exposure that isn'tthere! The
Reala technology in a sence makes the film appear to react to red and
blue/cyan light better, and therefore get the information for the red and
blue recording layers needed to make a decent print.
The Superia technology is the use of tablature grain- similar to what was
the T-Max technology of Kodak, and later, when all their films started to
use it, they were labeled Supra. The Supra and Superia technology had a big
influence on us in the lab as the films all had almost identical slopes for
the color response of the films- even between different speeds. Usually,
each film type has a set of 'slopes' or compensations programmed into a
printer so that the color in negatives that are under or over exposed render
appropriate color. This is because the different layers have different gamma
resp0onses at different exposures. We found that with the Superia, and Supra
films that once you got a good adjustment on the slope of the most used
film- usually either Kodak or Fuji 200, that the prints made from ISO 100,
200, 400, 800, and to some extent the 1600 films were all consistent!
This made printing very much easier, and the variation between speeds,
emulsion numbers and age were minimized. It made setting up the machines a
good deal easier since 95% of our film was either Kodak or Fuji- it also
saved money and time as there vwere fewer re-do's, and customer satisfaction
increased as well.
So, the Reala Superia films are using the Reala's fourth layer, and the
Superia is using the tablature type grain- meaining the film is finer grain
than before, and you get more consistent color between speeds.
My two cents worth, and then some!
Dan