Subject: [Leica] Re: OT rolleiflex
From: "David Kieltyka" <daverk@email.msn.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 21:16:52 -0500

Johnny Deadman <john@pinkheadedbug.com> wrote (edited):

> Rob, if you shop around you can pick up a 'flex for a good
> price. Mine is battered and beaten but it only cost me about
> UKP 150. It's a T2 model (I think) with the 75mm Xenotar
> f/3.5. I daresay others will tell me this is sub-optimal but
> it is *hellishly* sharp.
>
> The 3.5f and 2.8f have a different mechanism for selecting
> shutter speed and aperture, which is probably a bit more
> convenient. These 'f' models are probably the ones to go for
> -- they're the 'classic' usable rolleiflexes.
> The other difference between the 3.5 and the 2.8 cameras
> (besides the maximum aperture) is that the 3.5 is a 75mm lens
> and the 2.8 is an 80mm. Personally I prefer the 75 length...
> it's hard to say what the equivalent on a 35mm camera would
> be because of the different format but it feels like a 40 or
> so.
>
> They are really wonderful cameras. A whole slew of things you
> previously did with your leicas you will now do instead with
> the flex once you see the results. There's not much to go
> wrong with them, really, either.

My Rolleiflex is also a second version T. (The T2 features the
"Rollei-Werke" label below the taking lens whereas the T1 has "Franke &
Heidecke.") Lens is the Zeiss Tessar. Wide-open it makes for a lovely
head-to-waist portrait camera IMO. Stop down the lens to f/5.6 and smaller
and it takes very crisp images indeed. It had been awhile since I'd used it
much, but...

For Xmas my girlfriend gave me an Epson flatbed scanner, the 1640SU Photo.
She actually took the 'flex out of its bag and placed it under the tree on
top of the Epson package. How's that for a hint? :-) Since the Epson can
scan medium format film (up to 6x9cm with the included film holder) I've
been giving the 'flex a good workout over the past two weeks. A sometimes
disorienting but ultimately fun little box. Looking at the KEH website right
now I see a 3.5F with Xenotar lens in "Excellent Plus" condition going for
US$616. A 3.5 (Tessar) MX-EVS, same condition, is listed at US$399, an
"Excellent" T at $364. No doubt a person could do better with a bit of
careful, patient shopping but even so this is some pretty serious bang for
the buck.

- -Dave-
Redford, Michigan