Subject: [Leica] Re: an appeal to photographer (was re: tina's print pricing)
From: Jim Brick <jim_brick@agilent.com>
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2001 15:13:32 -0800

I think Tim Spragens had the quote-of-the-day on this subject:

.... If you want your image to go out with the next redecoration, sell it
cheap...

You pay $10 to $15 for a calendar from some photo pro that you like. I
happen to have a John Sexton and Jim Brandenburg for 2001. I just threw out
an Ansel Adams and a Larry Ulrich. Great Photographs. Last years trash now.

Pay $20 for a nice print, hang it on the wall, and in a year, when you are
tired of it, throw it out and get something else.

Pay $1000 for a matted and framed print that you like enough to pay $1000
for, and it will be with you forever.

I have a friend that makes his e-n-t-i-r-e living photographing and selling
landscapes. Ciba's and LightJets. His work is unbelievably good. Linhof
Master Technika, Pentax 6x7, and an R7. 99% of the work done on 4x5, .999%
with the 6x7, .001% with the Leica. His print sizes range from 20x24 to
48x60. A 48x60 is $3000. He sells enough of this stuff to travel all over
the US, photographing the different seasons in different areas, then make
and sell prints. He's done one book (sponsored). His photography is so
stunning, I've purchased some of his work. Especially when what I want is
number one ( 1/250 ).

Jim