Subject: [Leica] R vs. Leicaflex and SL vs. SL2
From: "Patrick Sobalvarro" <pgs@sobalvarro.org>
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2000 20:16:55 -0500

I've used R cameras (as well as an M2) for quite a few years and have found
myself more and more inclined to use SLs rather than Rs.  I sold my R4s a
few
years ago and recently sold my R6, and have kept only an R6.2 as my sole
"modern" camera.  I use my SL MOTs quite a bit with the motors, which are
not
such a bear if one uses the handgrip.  In fact I find that I can shoot more
reliably at slower speeds when I use the motor on the SL MOT -- the release
is
wonderfully smooth, unlike the release on the Motor Drive R4 and the Motor
Winder R4, both of which require too much pressure for my taste.  I guess
the
fact that the camera, grip and motor weigh about 50 pounds probably helps me
to hold it steady as well.

I got hooked on Leicaflexes a few years ago when I found an SL Olympic and
50/2 for sale for a shockingly low price.  I bought it more or less out of
curiosity, thinking I would sell it to a collector, and found I just
couldn't
stop using it.  It felt like my M2, whereas my R6.2, R4s, etc. just didn't.
like the R6.2 just fine, and it's very reliable, etc., but the SLs just feel
better when I use them.

I have an SL2 as well, and while I had once thought that this would be a
great
camera to use, based on all the reports, etc., I just don't like it as well
as
I like the SL.  One reason is the finder -- I'm not crazy about the split
image in the center (I use a gridded groundglass on my R6.2).  Also, I don't
need all the doodads, like the meter needle illumination, etc.  When the
light
is that low, I find it better to use a rangefinder.  It is nice to see the
shutter speed in the finder, but the SL2 just turns out to be less reliable
than the SL.  I have heard this from Reinhold Mueller and Sherry Kraeuter,
and
also from Ernst Hartmann, who was then head of service for Leica USA.

My SL2 went to Sherry Kraeuter (who I find does superb work) recently for an
overhaul for a few minor issues and one major one -- the 1/2000th was not
opening.  Sherry handled all the minor issues, but said that to fix the
1/2000th would require a shutter rebuild for another $350 or so, and she
thought it wasn't worth it.  This because she says it might fail at any time
after that -- she says that SL2s have always had this problem, and I have
also
heard complaints about the SL2 shutter from other top Leica people.  As of
now
she says that the 1/2000th will fire if the shutter is left uncocked until
just before use -- otherwise it will "hit through" (which presumably means
something to someone who knows the innards of an SL2 shutter).  The other
speeds use a different mechanism, so they're more reliable, but, heavens to
Betsy, I don't want to have to avoid the 1/2000th on my camera (nor do I
want
to pay $350 for a rebuild).  Anybody want to buy a recently-overhauled SL2
with a dodgy 1/2000th at a good price?  Black chrome; cosmetically pretty
nice.  I'll stick to my banged-up old SLs.

- -Patrick