Subject: [Leica] Leicaflex vs Leica R
From: "Anderson, Ferrel E" <AndersonF@ria.army.mil>
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2000 11:14:48 -0600

The history of my Leica SLR experience is:  	1966 - Leicaflex Mark I with 50
Summicron, 90 Elmarit-R, and Elpro for 90.
					     	1966 - Leicaflex Mark I jams,
and is replaced by Leitz with a Leicaflex Mark II
						1968 - Second Leicaflex mark II
						1978 - Mint Leicaflex SL
						1980s - 28 Elmarit-R
						    "   - 60 Macro Elmarit-R
						    "   - Did not buy mint 21 f4
Super Angulon R - SOB!!!
						    "   - 135 Elmarit-R
						    "   - 100 f4 Macro Elmar and
bellows R
						    "   - 135 f4 Tele Elmar lens
head and adapter for Bellow R
						    "   - 65 f3.5 black Elmar
and focusing tube
						    "   - 60 Macro Elmarit-R
						1990s - Leica RE
						    "   - Mint 35mm f2.8
Elmarit-R
						    "   - Mint 24 f2.8 Elmarit-R
						    "   - 400 f6.8 Telyt-R
						    "   - 100 f2.8 APO Macro
Elmarit-R
						    "   - Mint Leica R6
						    "   - Leica motor winder for
the Rs and a shoulder stock and trigger release for the
winder.

I still have it all, and use it all for color and black and white work of all
kinds.

The Leica R cameras are wonderful for every thing, and I use them more than the
flexes.  But, the Leicaflexes are still my favorites, and not only for emotional
reasons.  The ergonomics of the Leicaflex is unequaled for me (I haven't tried
them backwards yet!  The R8 is a backwards flex!).  They fit my hands perfectly,
and the weight and balance make for super hand holdable photography.  Pick one
up with the 50 and an R with a 50, and it is very evident that the Leicaflex
package is much more steady than the R package.  The viewfinder, especially the
original Leicaflex screen, is brilliant, but you can only focus in the central
circle, and it is not easy, in spite of its brilliance, to focus in dim light.
The SL screen is a definite improvement for focusing, but it is not as bright
and it has a slight greenish color.  The SL BTL meter is nice, and the
ergonomics, although excellent, are not as good as the original flex, but are
definitely better than the Rs.  On the other hand, the Rs do everything well,
and the small size and lower weight are nice.  The RE fitted with a motor
winder, the 400 Telyt,  and the shoulder stock is fantastic (How do you use the
SL and 400 quickly Doug?).  I have handled the R8, but my comments above don't
apply to it.  My opinion is that the R8 does every thing a SLR should, but the
large size does not appeal to me.  If they introduce a smaller sized "R8" with
the ergonomics of the original flex and the controls of the R8, I will buy it
immediately.  I must confess that if I were not going into larger format
photography, I would buy an R8 now - especially for the flash metering.

Ferrel Anderson