Subject: [Leica] Exploring the limits
From: "Anderson, Ferrel E" <AndersonF@ria.army.mil>
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2001 13:13:08 -0600

I explored the limits with my new Leicaflex (Mark1) and 50 Summicron and 90
Elmarit lenses in 1968.  Like the testers in Camera 35 magazine, I used the
United States Bureau of Standard lens testing charts and directions, but instead
of using Pan-X film, I used Kodak High contrast Copy film and H&W Control
developer.  I tested the lenses at 76 focal lengths, which provided a maximum
possible resolution of 240l/mm, or 120lp/mm.  Results:

The highest resolution was achieved with the Summicron at f4 in the center of
the image, where the resolution was an astounding 240 l/mm (120lp/mm)!   I could
only see this resolution with a microscope.  When I put the negative in the
focomat 1C and checked resolution at 8X and at f4.5 with my Focotar, I could not
see this level of resolution, but not because of the quality of the lens, but
because of the low level of magnification.  At 16x, I could just barely make out
the resolution lines.  My conclusion:  just like Erwin, there is a point of
diminishing returns, and for normal superb quality, 80l/mm (40lp/mm) is
certainly it.  Ctein states that about 5 lp/mm in the print is needed to get
satisfactory sharpness, but one needs 30 lp/mm on the paper to achieve optimum
sharpness - read resolution of the image structure = grain.   This can be
achieved with the best enlarging lenses.

The best resolution across the field was at f5.6 with both lenses, and at this
aperture resolution across the filed was from 160 to 200+ l/mm (80-100 lp/mm).
I tested some other normal lenses, and the best was the 50mm f1.4 Nikor, which
achieved 160 l/mm (80lp/mm) across the field at f5.6.  To achieve uniform
performance across the field. all of the lenses I tested should be stopped down
to f8- f9.5.  At this aperture diffraction evens out optical performance, and at
f11 performance levels out at about 68-80 l/mm (34-40 lp/mm) but with reduction
in contrast.

More recently, I checked my lenses with the USBS charts at 26 focal lengths
which results in a maximum possible resolution of 80 l/mm (40 lp/mm).  the best
lenses in my current stable are the ancient 90 Elmarit, the 60mm Macro Elmarit
- -R and the100 APO Macro Elmarit-R.  the APO lens is the best lens I have tested.
The resolution lines are etched on the negative right across the field from f2.8
until diffraction takes its toll.  I plan on testing all of my lenses later this
winter with Tech Pan film, Technidol developer, and at 76 focal lengths.  I'll
share my results with you.

Ferrel Anderson