Subject: [Leica] Re: Interesting X-Ray Report
From: "Sal DiMarco,Jr." <sdmp007@pressroom.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2000 19:19:02 -0500

Bill Sattefield wrote....
"Sal, any insight on how I can be designated a Pro? I am going to London in
May
and on to Paris.  I would really prefer to not have my Tri X 400 x rayed."

Bill,
    First of all, in the USA, you have the right to ask for a hand search.
So outgoing is fine. How you would get yourself designated a pro, I do not
have an answer for you. I've always carried a pocketful of press cards,
either issued by the news organizations I work for, or by the local
authorities, (e.i. the Philadelphia Police Department, and the US Capitol
Police). Actually, I spent a good deal of time trying to keep press
credentials out of the hands of pretenders.
    The only places where you may be x-rayed is leaving London by air and
again possibly when leaving Paris. Not to wise crack, but have you thought
about taking the Chunnel? I understand it is an fun way to get to Paris from
London.
    Carry your film in clear plastic bags, and be very polite and you may
get a hand inspection.
    A few passes through the carry on X-ray machines will not harm your
film.
    UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES, put any film in checked baggage. The new
machines they are using for checked baggage have a 100% film destruction
rate.

Pascal wrote...
"I find this discriminatory and hence inacceptable behavior. Why would  only
pro photographers enjoy the "privilege" of a manual inspection of their
films?"

Pascal,
    If I were you, I'd take it up with the BAA... My guess is, the number of
professionals traveling compared to the number of tourists is minuscule, so
they gave in a little. Personally, I don't mind going through the added
security. It is preferable to being blown up, or hijacked....

Well, this beats talking about the nonsense of bokeh.....

Happy Snaps & Happy New Year
Sal