Subject: Re: [Leica] US Customs duty help needed
From: Henry Ambrose <henryambrose@home.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2000 20:11:48 -0600

>Hi,
>
>I just purchased a mint Leica M4-p*  from an Italian dealer, and I need
>information from people who have purchased Leica equipment and had it
>shipped from overseas.
>
>(* Used, non-reflex 35mm photographic camera, model made in Canada
>{German company}, value $1200)
>
>I need to know if the following information is correct, so I can include
>it in the way bill:
>
>HTS number:  90065990 Photographic camera, other than fixed focus, valued
>over $10 each, nesi--01/01/1999
>
>Is this the right code for this camera?  Is there any duty?  The customs
>website hasn't been very helpful.
>
>Thanks in advance,
>Robert
Customs is interesting to deal with isn't it?
The best solution is to use whatever shipping service's "customs
brokerage service" thats offered. They will take care of the details. You
will pay them a small fee for doing so. I think that you will find that
there are no duties on this camera. The correct HTS number can probably
only be determined by someone who has lots of experience doing this,
hence the customs broker profession. The regulations are set up so that
you are responsible for doing it correctly and the Customs Service has no
authority to do it for you. Like the IRS, they require you to fill out
the forms correctly and then pay any money due.

Good Luck,

Henry Ambrose