Subject: Re: [Leica] film breaking during cold loading
From: Henry Ambrose <digphoto@telalink.net>
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2000 12:51:20 -0600

Hello Luggers,

Yesterday evening I was outside with my M6 on a tripod. It was about 20
degrees F. When I finished the first roll and started to load the next
the end of the leader snapped off when I tried to wind on. So I pulled
out the film and tried again. Same result! Finally had to go back to the
car and use tweezers to get the shreds of film out of the camera, recut
the leader and finally on the third try it loaded and wound on without
breaking. The Velvia film that broke had been in an outside pocket of my
raincoat for about one hour. It should not have been all that cold since
it was near my body.

I know some of the Canadian luggers have been sticking their tongues  to
their cameras in outdoor testing so maybe one of these northern brothers
or sisters could explain to this southerner what's going on? Should I
warm the leader before loading? Or?

btw:
The camera worked fine, meter and all.
My fingers gave out first - couldn't feel a thing.

Henry Ambrose

Replies: Reply from Greg Locke <locke@straylight.ca> (Re: [Leica] film breaking during cold loading)