Subject: Re: [Leica] film breaking during cold loading
From: Greg Locke <locke@straylight.ca>
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2000 19:35:41 -0330

On Sat, 23 Dec 2000, you wrote:
> Hello Luggers,
>
> Yesterday evening I was outside with my M6 on a tripod. It was about 20
> degrees F.
>
> I know some of the Canadian luggers have been sticking their tongues  to
> their cameras in outdoor testing so maybe one of these northern brothers
> or sisters could explain to this southerner what's going on? Should I
> warm the leader before loading? Or?

Don't be too quick to blame this on the cold.  20F is not enough to freeze
film enough to fracture. That is only a couple of degrees below water
freezing.

I have only had this happen to me  once. It was below 0F (somewhere on
the coast of Labrador loong past the last village)  and only then
because I neglected to shut off the motordrives.

A few weks ago I worked on a job where I was outdoors for 12 hours in
below freezing temps  (approx -10C) and 75kmph winds. This gives you a
wind chill factor of about -30C.... M6's worked fine.  I just had to
make sure to leave them out on the rocks when I went into the "shack" for
coffee and to warm up.....  They would fog up the instant I went through
the door.

I'm sure Tim, in Yellowknife, has worked in worse.

I would more then likely consider the loading technique. This summer I
went through a rash of breaking film leaders with some chrome film.

 Greg Locke
St. John's, Newfoundland
http://www.straylight.ca/locke
PictureDesk International ...news pictures ONLINE
http://www.picturedesk.org