Subject: Re: [Leica] 50 summicron
From: apbbeijing <apbbeijing@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2000 08:46:31 +0800

on 22/12/00 3:46 pm, Robert Appleby at robert.appleby@tin.it wrote:

> Put slides from the 50 next to the
> 35/1.4 or 24/2.8 asphs and they really look soft and wishywashy. Well,
> that's what I felt, anyway, does anyone have the same/conflicting feelings?

Yes - so I use a 50 Nokton in preference to my 3 Leica 50s (1.0, 1.4, 2.0)
but don't tell Johnny D. OTOH I have no prob with the 90/2.8 which is
neither APO nor ASPH. I also find the recent 50/2s to be pretty poor
mechanically: I am on my fourth now. The 50/1.4  is better made IME but
rather a dated design with room for improvement (ASPH etc) in the widest
couple of stops.

BTW you might be pleasantly surprised by the Hexar 50/2: I was but prefer
the Nokton for its f1.5 performance.
- --
Adrian Bradshaw
Corporate and Editorial Photography