Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica 70-180 f/2.8
From: apbbeijing <apbbeijing@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2000 09:33:30 +0800

A great lens - especially if you intend to use it on a tripod. It is
reviewed in detail at Erwin's site so I won't go over the same ground but a
few user observations,
1. It is too heavy but at least well balanced on an R8 with motor
2. the need for the lens to have its own strap is a pain: very clumsy to
handle
3. no 1.4x converter available for this lens: I use the Canon 70-200 2.8
with the 1.4 often (and the 2x only rarely). The Leica 2x APO is however
quite usable with the 70-180 though f5.6 is not a great maximum aperture...
4. As Doctor Yao pointed out, the long focusing throw is a disappointment
5. The lens hood (like most Leica lens hoods) is too short and there is a
tendency for internal veiling glare shooting into the light.
6. IME the 80-200 is every bit as good as the 70-180 optically, focuses
closer and quicker, is handier and lighter but if you really need the faster
lens go for it
- --
Adrian Bradshaw
Corporate and Editorial Photography