Subject: Re: [Leica] B.D.'s hitherto invisible photo display.....WHich is now visible...
From: Tom Finnegan <TomF@piengr.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 16:11:10 -0800

OK: The site would be much more interesting if it featured something other
than "Photo not available" about 40 times... ;)

M.

And yet, because you took the time to look at it, it is "art"! In fact I
would go even further and claim that it is "fine" art of the highest order.
The repetition of the "Photo not available" message is oddly compelling and
mysterious. The viewer is left wondering just what pictures were taken. As I
look at a frame I am left pondering, was this suppose to be a picture of
perhaps some people driving in a car, or maybe a small group of people
sitting around and talking as they drink some coffee. There is an incredible
amount of unresolved tension. Will the viewer ever know what the picture
was?

I also see the obvious influence of Eggleston. It is as if B.D. has taken
Eggleston's ideas of photographing the everyday and the banal a quantum leap
forward. I find find the entire presentation radical and groundbreaking.
Surely, this will be the next big thing. I just wonder what the cost of a
print would be. A great big piezograph print of "Photo not available" over
my computer would look great.

Tom :^) Finnegan
Seattle

Replies: Reply from Chandos Michael Brown <cmbrow@wm.edu> (Re: [Leica] B.D.'s hitherto invisible photo display.....WHich is now visible...)