Subject: Re: [Leica] What is fine art photography?
From: Guy Bennett <guybnt@idt.net>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 08:48:08 -0800

>Could the difference between  "art photography" and  "commercial
>photography" be
>who's buying?
>When your client is GM or GE you are doing commercial photography.
>When your client is Joes Gallery you are doing Art photography.
>Joe the art director? Or Joe the Gallery owner or collector.
>
>Here's the trick question:
>When Michelangelo (Buonarroti) worked for the Pope (Rex Harrison) was he
>therefore doing commercial photography?
>Don't look to me for the answer he obviously was doing Art with a capital
>A. As
>in David with a capital D.
>I guess we are always working for the landlord. Always ones biggest souse
>of inspiration/perspiration...
>
>mark rabiner
>:)

mark,

a fascinating question! in fact, up to the late middle ages, most artists -
be they painters, composers, or what have you - were making "commercial"
art, according to your definition.

now, as for michelangelo, i would say that he was only doing commercial
photography if he used a pinhole camera to produce the composition. (and
for a revealing discussion about artists as far back as the 15th century
who used pinhole cameras and related devices in their work, see eric
renner's "pinhole photography," chapter 2: "pinhole's history in art.")

guy

Message from Nathan Wajsman <wajsman@webshuttle.ch> (Re: [Leica] What is fine art photography?)
Message from Guy Bennett <guybnt@idt.net> (Re: [Leica] What is fine art photography?)