Subject: Re: [Leica] What is fine art photography?
From: Guy Bennett <guybnt@idt.net>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2000 14:29:33 -0800

>On 12 Dec 00, at 11:14, Guy Bennett wrote:
>
>> p.p.s. j loengard (sp?), the last editor of life magazine and a fine
>> photographer, objected to the term "art photographer" - "they don't
>> call doestoevsky an art writer," was his comment.
>>
>to which tim spragens responded:
>
>Though often the distinction is made between "Literature" and
>"Fiction", not to mention journalism and other forms of prose.
>Photojournalism seems to be an accepted typecasting, why not art
>photography? What is fine might be debatable.

not to mention poetry and (presumably prose-) writing in general (indeed,
there is a trade mag called "poets and writers" that seems to follow
verlaine's dictum that, after poetry, "le reste est littérature").

to come back on topic, i agree with you, tim, and have no problem with the
"art photography" label. i think appropriately qualifies a particular
modality of photographic work, just like the labels "street photography"
and "documentary photography" do. particularly interesting to me are those
photographers whose work bears the mark of two or more such modalities,
salgado for example (photojournalism and art photography).

guy

Replies: Reply from Guy Bennett <guybnt@idt.net> (Re: [Leica] What is fine art photography?)
Reply from Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com> (Re: [Leica] What is fine art photography?)
Message from Nathan Wajsman <wajsman@webshuttle.ch> (Re: [Leica] What is fine art photography?)