Subject: Re: [Leica] What is fine art photography?
From: Guy Bennett <guybnt@idt.net>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2000 11:14:59 -0800

nathan,

i was not referring to you; i know you're not a flamethrower when it comes
to art photography (though, as you point out, you're the guy who started
the infamous e******** thread! :) ). my post was a comment on the more
reactionary and esthetically conservative luggers' from-the-gut hatred for
any kind of photography that doesn't represent their personal vision of
what they know photography is all about, and their ususal condescension
toward others who may actually find vaule in work by photographers like
eggleston and sherman, and we have already had a couple of posts related to
the current thread that amply illustrate this point of view.

for me, the whole thing (whether c.s. is an artist or a photographer,
whether w.e. can take a photo to save his life,etc.) is a moot point, since
"art photography" has long been recognized as a viable (and to some,
profitable) form of photography, in spite of what a few experts here on the
lug may think. i just can't help responding to some of the more
presumptuous posts against art photography, which are all ultimately saying
this: "i don't like it, so it has no value." some of the more pretentious
add: "and anyone who disagrees is an idiot."

i know you are not among the latter group, and hope i didn't give that
impression; i don't recall ever seeing such comments in your posts. while
you may fear "making an idiot of yourself in public," others, alas, do not.

guy

p.s. as an addendum to the list you originally posted, i understand that
michael kenna is the best selling art photographer in the u.s., so there
may still be hope for the "brainwashed masses." (i personally believe that
m.k. is a great photographer and a fantastic printer.)

p.p.s. j loengard (sp?), the last editor of life magazine and a fine
photographer, objected to the term "art photographer" - "they don't call
doestoevsky an art writer," was his comment.

Message from Guy Bennett <guybnt@idt.net> (Re: [Leica] What is fine art photography?)