Subject: Re: [Leica] Survey results: R8 Reliability.
From: Mikiro <arbos@mac.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 11:19:24 +0100

Martin,
I appreciate your report very much. I myself have not been able to do
further study on this issue. As you mention, we cannot jump to conclusion.
Nevertheless, one might safely assume that R8 electronic boards from newer
generations have fewer (if not so few as we expect) problems.

> Ultimately, I guess, the question is: Would I personally buy an R8?  The
> answer is, yes, I would.  It is the best manual focus SLR out there, in my
> opinion.  I would want to buy it either from an individual I know and trust
> who could test the camera for me, or in person.  And I would test it with a
> winder or drive before parting with my money.  However, at the moment, as a
> struggling PhD student, I need to divert my funds towards other things than
> esoteric camera equipment.

So, you should tell people around you that an R8 will be a perfect gift for
you in commemoration of taking your PhD. ;-)

Cheers,

Mikiro
http://arbos.silva.net